So I thought I would do another just for fun type of quiz. Working at Tesco means I get a real feel for the local lingo. So, here's the deal...if you are one of my American friends figure out what the words in bold mean and leave a comment. If you get the most right, I'll send you a 'prize' from England.
My disclaimer: I have no idea if I'm spelling any of these words correctly. I've only heard most of them...never seen them written.
1. Your accent is hellish.
2. I'm knackered.
3. My friend Susan is skint.
4. Watch out for spelks.
5. How are the bairns? (*** This word sounds like 'bens' to my untrained ear. My friend says there is an r sound in there...a very silent r in my opinion)
6. Silas was faffin' most of the morning.
7. Joe got wrong for skiving.
8. The bananas are mingin'.
9. He went out to get pissed.
And my personal favorite...
10. She's dead canny as aught.
17 September 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Wow, I actually only know 4 of those! Can't wait to hear the meaning!
those are hard!
knackered-tired
bairns-baby/children
skiving-cutting class-remember "skiving snackboxes" from Harry Potter?
minging-rotten/nasty
pissed-drunk
I only heard "knackered" when we lived in the UK and we still use that one at home. The rest makes it pretty evident that we watch too much BBC America!
Miss You Guys, Meredith
I'm stuck on spelks - I don't think I've ever heard it.
Your spelling seems ok ;-)
Julie
I have no idea but my imagination is running away with me! can't wait to see the answers. please, please, please post them!
Those are wild-- you'll have to give us the "key" soon!
answers please!
I woke up this morning all knackered after a night of tossing and turning, only to realize that I had been so busy as of late that I hadn't heard from the bairns. Now if that wasn't enough to start the day out wrong, I went into the kitchen only to find that my bananas were mingin'. Arrggghhh! Went to get Ra up to see if he could run to the store, but he was pissed as a newt from his adventures the night before! B/4 the story gets any more hellish, give us the clues or I'll be faffin' the rest of the day ;)
"Spelk" is a tough one: you either know it or you don't. I do because I'm Durham born, bred and educated - but I'd better not give it away and ruin your quiz!
Post a Comment