22 February 2006

Wheaton Day 2 and UK flight

Don't read this one until you read the one below, or you will miss some important context...

So I just hung out at Wheaton and got in a couple of good chats with James Taylor (OBU grad I'm staying with). I also went to the CS Lewis, JRR Tolkien, et al museum. It wasn't that large, but it did have the original wardrobe from Lewis' childhood. It was also warmer, so that made it nicer to get out and around on campus.

After lunch I had to find a ride to the airport. I couldn't find anyone going that way, but I had a tentative offer by a DTS grad to drive me if I found no other rides. She however found someone for me to ride with...the other Moo applicant and his wife! I sucked it up and rode with them, and it turned out to be not tense at all. Apparently my offer of information about the interview process the day before made a big impression on him, and he thanked me for giving information to my competition. He is at Fuller working on a 2-yr MA, so my degrees at OBU and DTS give me a bit deeper academic background than him. As a result, I considered my prospects there as better than I had previously expected. (He mentioned that he was up until 1 am the night before reading up on his subject and then got up at 6 am to continue.) However, by God's grace I wasn't nervous at all, which is a little out of character for me when I interact with authority figures critiquing me, especially 8 or so of them! It also helped that I had to write a proposal for the UK schools so I had already fleshed out some of the ideas in a quasi-organized manner. So that turned out much better than I expected.

I grabbed a flight in the early evening to London (Heathrow) and then a connection to Aberdeen the next morning. There was plenty of leg room on the long flight, which was wonderful. I would have preferred more sleep, but who can sleep when it is only 7 pm home time. On the whole the flight was uneventful, which is a good thing. Joey Dodson picked me up at the airport, and showed me around the school. He's off meeting with Simon Gathercole, his supervisor and the prof I'm applying to study under, as I am writing this. I believe Joey said the building I'm at (King's College) was originally built in 1425.

No comments: