09 May 2007

We had a talk...well, a read, really


We bought this book several months ago and hadn't really taken the opportunity to read it. We realized that when E turned 6 1/2 that it was definitely time to sit down and have the *the birds and the bees* kind of talk. I saw this book on Amazon and read several great comments about it. It sounded like the *take* we wanted to present this topic to our kids -- with real terms, tastefully done, and from a Christian perspective. It talks about the physical differences between boys and girls bodies, how they grow up to be men and women, that sex is a gift from God to a husband and wife, and how a baby is made.
We had already put Silas to bed and thought it would be a great time to read through this with E and see if he had any questions. When it got to more of the details about bodies, he said, "Oh boy! I didn't know it was going to be talking about this!" Other than that he pretty much just listened. At the end we talked about a few more things and asked if he had any questions...he didn't really.
After he went to bed, Ben and I talked about how it went. We think that it wasn't too big of a deal for E since we've always used the proper terms for 'boy bits and girl bits' (as they say in England). We also talked about how we should have probably read it to him a year ago...we'll do better with Silas, hopefully. My true hope is that this was a foundation for future talks...that he'll be able to talk to us about these things as he gets older -- as he understands more and hears more about sex (probably lots of differing views from ours) from the rest of the world.

7 comments:

Hailey said...

That's awesome! I'll have to remember that in 5 years!! Not really looking forward to it - sheesh - who knew parenting would be so hard!! I don't even like talking about s**!!

Anonymous said...

5 1/2 really? That seems so young! But in today's world... Is it ok that I'm nervous already?

the blackwells said...

Nervous, yeah...there's probably some reason it took us 4 months after purchasing the book to actually read it. And we feel like we're pretty open with our boys.

-C said...

sounds like a great start to a lifetime conversation about God's amazing creation. ;) Sam told me the other day that I needed a p**** so that I could go pee.:) Wowsers!

the blackwells said...

Oh yes...with 2 boys there have been plenty of conversations (even lengthy ones) re: why mom doesn't have a p****.

Jennifer said...

Well, Caleb is 8 and we haven't had this conversation yet. Not that he doesn't already know some stuff-- unfortunately, he picks up way too much from t.v. (even the tame stuff that we watch on t.v.).

Jess Connell said...

I love this series. Like you, we're pretty open, but those kind of "intentional" conversations can make your heart jump into your throat!

Good on ya! (Or is that just an Aussie saying?)

:) Jess