Besides being really hot and humid yesterday in Berlin (apparently I can't tolerate this Texas-like weather anymore), I had a really good day. Ben had been on a fab tour last week and thought it would be the best thing for me to go to for the 'whole picture' . The tour really was great (check them out here if you're ever in Europe) -- it was a 3 1/2 hour tour and saw all the main sites.
Ben met me at the end of the tour. We sat outside and had a nice dinner and then we went back to check out the Memorial to the Murdered Jews. I really wanted a moment to really take this in on my own...not w/ 25 complete strangers. Then we headed to the Reichstag -- the parliament building. This building was burned in the 30s. It was blamed on a communist and through this event, Hitler acheived much of his power. After it was rebuilt and reopened for the reunited Germany in the 1990's, they built a glass dome on it where the people can look down on what's going on inside--that is, it's a show of open accountability to the people instead of an authoritarian government.
Today we went to the memorial at Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp. I'm still processing my visit there and will have to post about it later. I am off to the airport early tomorrow morning and then Ben has 1 more week here in Berlin to finish his studies.


4 comments:
It looks like you guys are having a good time! I'm so jealous of all of the things you're getting to experience in Europe. I don't even have a passport!
WOW! How cool! We've wanted to go to Germany for several years but have not made it as of yet. We still have a few states to go then on to international travel. Loved the pictures!!!!
What a great tour! I'm curious as to the various heights of the stones at the memorial for the Jews. What's the significance? I guess seeing all of this and reading the wonderful accounts, we're gonna have to muster up some "wings" I reckon.
love,
dad
Dad -- It's a really 'abstract' memorial. There aren't even signs that tell you that it is a memorial. It obviously is on every city map and there is also a bit of a museum underneath part of it (we didn't get the chance to go in there). It definitely has a cemetary feel. But it was also a very peaceful place for me in the midst of all the stones. I thought it was great.
Post a Comment