So, apparently confession is in the air here at our house. Elam came to me the other day with his head down and told me had to tell me something. He tells me matter-of-factly that his trip to the A&E (Emergency Room) last September was probably not necessary. Of course my first reaction, which thankfully I kept inside me, was 'What??? What in the world were you thinking?' At the same time he's telling me that he exaggerated his injury, scenes of him coming to me in 10 years to tell me that he's crashed the car flooded my mind. So, I stayed calm and we talked rationally about who was inconvenienced because of his actions -- Ms. Shelli for driving him to the hospital, the A&E staff for waiting on him rather than others, the other people having to wait to see the doctors, etc. Then we talked about how it's pretty amazing that in England all this medical stuff is taken care of for children and we didn't have to pay anything to go to the hospital...but that if this situation had happened in the US it's likely we would have had to pay some money (maybe even a lot of money).
He was really serious and I think he understood. Who knows why he decided just now to come tell us something that happened 4 months ago? But we told him we were glad that he chose to tell us the truth...and I'm hoping if he crashes the car or is flunking Chemistry years from now, he'll know that he can come and tell us.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
amazing that he thought to tell you about something that happened so long ago. crazy how much their little minds remember! Glad he told you. Not looking forward to moments like these - as I'm sure I won't be as calm and collected.
Probably more than the amazement of the confession, is his comfort level and trust to come and share it. That says a great deal about you and Ben.
Of course, had he shared that on the way home from the doctor's that day, I expect things might have been a bit different. He was just smart enough to hold off for a while. :)
Post a Comment